Skip to main content

What's in a Date?

Okay so today we celebrate the last sequential date in this century, 11-12-13. 
It's the last date with consecutive numbers to appear in the 21st century, but why the hype? 
Did they forget that every damn date in this century will never repeat itself? 
Or is this just another money-minting criteria adopted by hotels, hospitals, bars, wedding planners and pandit ji's to brainwash people's minds and inform them about the importance of this one date? 
Why the craze to tie the knot on this so called 'auspicious' date? Why the craze to deliver babies on this day? Are you going to tell me that its a 'lucky' day and will make your marriage last a year more than mine? Or your baby will be born an actor or IITian? Or probably that the food at restaurants will be better today? 
Hell, no. If love doesn't see person or time, why does it see dates? Ladies, If babies born on other dates can become Shahrukh Khan and Sachin Tendulkar, why the fuss about paining your bodies to forcefully deliver today?
For as long as the 'luck' factor goes, it's all in the mind. And in your stars.
If you start believing, even tomorrow will be as 'lucky' as today, and dates will stop existing as a landmark of your lives. 
And when it's about having fun, I don't think it requires a clichéd one-day celebration. 
Think closely, your entire life is a big party, only you have to prepare for the blast. 
So, blow the balloons, light the candles, pour a glass of wine and enjoy the BIGGER party!  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Things Girls Need to get Right

Disclaimer- This piece is a personal opinion and should not be taken as a remark on anyone. The readers are requested to not be offended since I mean no offence at all. And if you end up being offended, the writer is not to be blamed. Thank you!  I have seen a lot of girls previously but thanks to my college, I now see hundreds of them each day. And analyse them. After so much analysis and observation, I finally discovered some things that ladies and girls need to improve upon and get right. Read on.  1. Wax the underarms  So this is a big big turn off for most people. Girls, you may wear sleeveless tops and dresses but know that we don't like to see the bushy region in your armpits that you least proudly show off. Ensure that you are perfectly waxed or have negligible growth the next time you decide to wear something with no sleeves. There's enough hair on your head, we don't need any more to admire.  2. Plastic straps   If the government was cons...

Better Single than Sorry

Walking down the aisles at Archie's gallery, gazing at various love objects such as Teddy Bears, Cupid idols, Love birds, Together forever frames, and other love-related shit; I finally ended up picking a Happy Anniversary greeting card for my parents. If this is not the torment of Valentine's day, then I don't know what is. No, the torment isn't buying an Anniversary card, it's the struggle to find general greetings amidst this store full of red hearts and love quotes that describes a world where love is measured by objects and not emotions.  If you choose 14th February to confess your feelings, that's not falling love, it's fooling in love. With due respect to Saint Valentine and Cupid, this day has become overhyped, overrated and over celebrated. How can you decide to pamper your loved one only on one day of the year and bestow all the love (pocket money) upon them?  Expensive gifts and flowers only provide the sellers with one week of good business and t...

We Think We Have Time

An eerie quietness fills the room   Something doesn't seem right today He is waiting for me in bed I slip into the blanket that covers his body I tell him that he needs to be well He doesn't listen to me I am yearning to hear him speak He doesn't talk much I am waiting for his words of wisdom He hardly even says anything I remind him of his strength  His body is weak  I feed him naan khatai and imarti each day He is thinning by the day I bring him his favourite food He doesn't eat two square meals in a day I cook him his favourite mutton biryani He can't eat two square meals in a day I bring him filter coffee from the nukkad of the street He can hardly even drink water  I ask him if he'd like to dance with me He can't stand on his two feet  I try to put him to sleep His eyes are tired of being shut  I stay quiet for a few minutes  He reaches for my hand I can't stop the tears from running do...