Skip to main content

Surviving the dreams.

I felt fragile under his hold, so fragile that I thought I would shatter into pieces the next second. 
***
Have you ever wanted to bear a child at the age of 16? Have you ever had the chance to do so? What if you did have a chance? Would you?
***
I had just turned 17 a month ago and could already feel the jitters setting in. Jitters of nearing adulthood, but was I ready yet? The answer never really kicked in.
I was in high school when I met Kabir, the cute guy next door. Ever since, I had been imagining my future and a sweet parenthood with him. So much so, I wasn't surprised when I found myself craving a sight of him over the subsequent days. But we were not meant to be. 
***
We had a stay back in school on one of the many afternoons during the winter of 2012. After the session got over, I decided to walk down from school to home. The distance wasn't as much as it seemed it was. Just as I was halfway through, I felt a tug at my ponytail and a gripping force at my belly which made me go black in the mind. His hand covered my mouth so I couldn't scream, tasted like corroded iron, which i could'nt push away. Before I even knew it, I found myself in the backyard of an old house which seemed almost half a century old by the look of it. I was thrown on the ground by this rather filthy looking man who seemed to belong to a fine family. Next, I saw another man in a similar look, then another and another and I lost sight before I could count how many of them surrounded me. All I could do was lie there on a ground full of haystacks and mud while each of them took their turns. One after the other, without break, and certainly without any mercy. Just when they were done and I lay there exhausted and gang-raped by god-knows-how-many men, I seemed to regain consciousness which was enough for me to realize what just happened to me.
I could feel the vehicle moving and a few minutes later, I was pushed out of the car door. It was completely dark by then, my parents had gone crazy looking for me, worrying if I was alright. Of course, I wasn't. 
I didn't know what to do, I didn't know where to go, I just didn't know anything. All i knew was, that i was wasted. Believing what they say about parents, "They always love you, no matter what", I knocked at the front door of my house and was greeted by my father who looked more shocked than worried at that moment. By just glancing at me from head to toe, he knew what had happened to his 17-year old young daughter. He just didn't know how and by whom. 
I underwent all the trauma post that incident, going to rehab, consulting doctors and psychologists, counselling sessions. Eventually, I recovered well in time to lead a normal life again. But was it ever going to be normal again?  
However, no sooner than two months I was taken to a gynaecologist who broke the news of pregnany to me. My mom, who stood beside me- both literally and metaphorically- passed out on the chair as the doctor's words poured in her hears.  Who ever imagined a 17-year old, fantasizing about a young one with her mate, would be forced by the haunting desires of some men, to bear the fruit of what they had sown, inside of her.
***
She gave birth to a baby girl, as beautiful as her, staring back at her with a world full of possibilities. Her daughter, Mia, became her dream. Not the one she dreamt, but the one she survived. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Single than Sorry

Walking down the aisles at Archie's gallery, gazing at various love objects such as Teddy Bears, Cupid idols, Love birds, Together forever frames, and other love-related shit; I finally ended up picking a Happy Anniversary greeting card for my parents. If this is not the torment of Valentine's day, then I don't know what is. No, the torment isn't buying an Anniversary card, it's the struggle to find general greetings amidst this store full of red hearts and love quotes that describes a world where love is measured by objects and not emotions.  If you choose 14th February to confess your feelings, that's not falling love, it's fooling in love. With due respect to Saint Valentine and Cupid, this day has become overhyped, overrated and over celebrated. How can you decide to pamper your loved one only on one day of the year and bestow all the love (pocket money) upon them?  Expensive gifts and flowers only provide the sellers with one week of good business and t

Things We Do When We Hate Someone

We have all been mad at someone or the other for some reason or the other but does that put an end to our love for them? Do we stop feeling the same for them? The answer is relative to the reason for which you’re mad at them. IF it is something that can be fixed, then the answer is NO, but surely when the damage done is irreparable, let’s take YES as the answer. People change, feelings change. Nobody can guarantee same behaviour throughout the course of a relationship. This is one solid ground for relationships falling apart. They say, "The opposite of love isn't hate. It is indifference." I am a true believer of these words but then again, sometimes, the next level indifference is called hate, or so I like to think. It's like they cease to exist for me, hence their role in my life becomes zero.   If I were to define hatred, it would be "absence of love”. It is a long ride to go from being mad at someone to hate them but there’s no looking back when you de

Are you ready to fly?

There is nothing that excites me and amazes me more than airplanes. The sole possibility of travelling back and forth in time, defying all perceptions of time travel. There is also nothing that makes me cringe more than being on an airplane. It makes me sick to the stomach, sends shivers down my spine, and renders me helpless, all at the same time. There is a reason why people send texts and make calls before take-off and after landing. No matter how advanced air travel becomes, no matter how many thousands of dollars you spend on that luxury first-class suite just so you can feel at home at 40,000 ft in the air, the fear is inherent. I am no frequent traveller, I am no member of the mile-high club, I am just a young girl who sees airplanes as nothing but a means of transport and occasionally a means of thrill. Having taken a few different flights to and from a few different destinations in the world, what has remained unchanged is my praying before each take-off and after e