Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Nik!

Disclaimer: If this story makes you wonder that I might be in love with a girl, know that you're right. However, my sexual preference is still as straight as it was before meeting this girl.
You may now read ahead.


Once upon a time...

It was around that crucial period in any student's life: getting admission in a decent college, the cut-off's for DU had been declared a day before and the rush in colleges was beyond imagination. Most of the girls wished for co-ed colleges, and there I stood in queue for admission forms at Gargi College, still unable to digest the fact that boys were going to become an extinct specie over the next three years. Nevertheless, what was important was that we could manage to get to Gargi with those awful 94% marks, given the current scenario of cut offs in DU.
It was a world where only girls existed, you may look left or right and as far as your eyes could see, you'd find only similar looking yet very different girls. Forms were filled, verified and forwarded for payment of fees when they met. She stood in line waiting for her turn to pay the admission fee when the never-ending chatting of girls caught her attention. Introductions: "Hi, I'm Richi from Delhi." "Hi, I'm Nikita from Agra." Course: Economics Hons. Destiny had it, they were going to make for the only batch of economics in Gargi College, as were 250 other girls. Then, they didn't know if it was a plight or a delight.

That was the day we met.
Months have passed since then and our hearts have grown fonder of each other by the day.
Here, I list few of the memories we share with a hope to create many more.

1. Mumbai college trip- A one of its kind trip for which I'll be ever so grateful to my college. Those 6 days including the train journey constitute a special memory. Fun in the room, dancing through the night, bus journeys, clicking weird pictures of each other, bitching about others, sleeping together :P (only, literally), agreeing to your request of straightening my hair which I would have never let anyone do if it wasn't for you, marine drive with you, eating out and the list is endless. Damn, let's do it again!

2. College- Without you, my college days define monotony. Be it talking during class, being chucked out for that, the never ending gossip, the men-ace, the Green Park and GK outings, my love for Dunkin Donuts, our shopping sprees, discussing our wild fantasies, our mutual desire for Mr. Grey, and the recent visit to Iskcon Temple. And how can we forget the college canteen ka samosa. Heaven can be bought in ₹5/-

3. Agra-Delhi-Agra
The day you leave for Agra is the day I start bugging you with questions as to when you plan to return. The girl who lives in Delhi but stays in Agra, yeah, that's how it is. I'm waiting for the semi-bullet train to start operation ASAP, for obvious reasons.
Agra toh aayi ladki university padhdi hai, kehti toh hai student hai, but I doubt. You don't attend college even when you're in Delhi. :/

4. Your pet dialogues
i) Mere sang- I'm reminded of the song 'mere sang' whenever you use this word. Such a cutie. Rich and Nik -Sang forever. <3

ii) Itne kam kapde pehne hai tunhe- Well, let's just not say anything about that. You have a strange opposition to me wearing shorts and skirts and sleeveless tops.

iii) Ladke kitne gande hote hai- Truth be told. Enough discussions about that, already.

iv) Baby/Babu- Our conversations are incomplete without the use of overly sweet adjectives. We know there's something wrong if there's no baby-ing each other. Also, the absence of 'xoxo' points toward men-ace. :P

v) Mere baal sabse lambe hai- Yes, you have the longest hair plus streaks, in our group. Thanks to your hair smoothening and other experiments, I'm not even close to being your competitor.

vi) Tu meri saari gandi photos daalti hai- Apparently, I always upload those pictures of you in which you THINK you look like the equivalent of 'kaam wali'. Nevertheless, I will continue to do so. :D

5) So, now I'm running short of words to write more praises for you. But still, you know, when it comes to writing about things and people I love, I can go on without stopping.
I'm so happy for you as you turn 19 today. I'm glad to have spent this one year with you and hope to spend many more. I wish that the only difference that we have to worry about is distance. You know, how much I care for you and love you. I'm like the sister you never had. I'm always gonna be there, even in your selfies, which reminds me that you're the selfie queen who doesn't tire of clicking selfies with my iPhone B-). Even when you call me in tears and I tell you that's not how you cry. We are the kind of friends who can share anything and everything without the fear of being judged. You're one person for whom I am ready to go that extra mile.

Who knew that the city that's home to one of the wonders of the world and the famous mental asylum could well, give me a wonder of my own world and a mental piece to deal with. Perhaps, That's the closest Agra and Delhi have ever come.
I love you.

Oh, and by the way, I just remembered.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NIK!
XO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Single than Sorry

Walking down the aisles at Archie's gallery, gazing at various love objects such as Teddy Bears, Cupid idols, Love birds, Together forever frames, and other love-related shit; I finally ended up picking a Happy Anniversary greeting card for my parents. If this is not the torment of Valentine's day, then I don't know what is. No, the torment isn't buying an Anniversary card, it's the struggle to find general greetings amidst this store full of red hearts and love quotes that describes a world where love is measured by objects and not emotions.  If you choose 14th February to confess your feelings, that's not falling love, it's fooling in love. With due respect to Saint Valentine and Cupid, this day has become overhyped, overrated and over celebrated. How can you decide to pamper your loved one only on one day of the year and bestow all the love (pocket money) upon them?  Expensive gifts and flowers only provide the sellers with one week of good business and t

Things We Do When We Hate Someone

We have all been mad at someone or the other for some reason or the other but does that put an end to our love for them? Do we stop feeling the same for them? The answer is relative to the reason for which you’re mad at them. IF it is something that can be fixed, then the answer is NO, but surely when the damage done is irreparable, let’s take YES as the answer. People change, feelings change. Nobody can guarantee same behaviour throughout the course of a relationship. This is one solid ground for relationships falling apart. They say, "The opposite of love isn't hate. It is indifference." I am a true believer of these words but then again, sometimes, the next level indifference is called hate, or so I like to think. It's like they cease to exist for me, hence their role in my life becomes zero.   If I were to define hatred, it would be "absence of love”. It is a long ride to go from being mad at someone to hate them but there’s no looking back when you de

Are you ready to fly?

There is nothing that excites me and amazes me more than airplanes. The sole possibility of travelling back and forth in time, defying all perceptions of time travel. There is also nothing that makes me cringe more than being on an airplane. It makes me sick to the stomach, sends shivers down my spine, and renders me helpless, all at the same time. There is a reason why people send texts and make calls before take-off and after landing. No matter how advanced air travel becomes, no matter how many thousands of dollars you spend on that luxury first-class suite just so you can feel at home at 40,000 ft in the air, the fear is inherent. I am no frequent traveller, I am no member of the mile-high club, I am just a young girl who sees airplanes as nothing but a means of transport and occasionally a means of thrill. Having taken a few different flights to and from a few different destinations in the world, what has remained unchanged is my praying before each take-off and after e