Skip to main content

My First Year of College


First, let me take a deep breath. Whoa! It's been one year since college began and although, it hasn't been as exciting as it looks from the outside, it's not been that bad, either. Infact, It's not even half bad. So, I'm a student of DU who was enrolled under the hastily introduced FYUP which would hold a rather debatable expansion; Four Year Undergraduate Programme or F*ck Yourself Undergraduate Programme. But, let's leave it to that. The termination of this new system came as hurriedly as its implementation, and so we are back to being students of the Three Year Undergraduate Programme.

                                  

Anyhow, apart from being treated as the official guinea pigs by the Great Indian Education System, there has been a lot to it. Basically, I'm going to talk of how my first year of college has been like. You may or may not exactly relate to it since it is an entirely personal and first hand experience of a freshers' year.

It all began a year ago in the July of 2013.
I remember getting the nerves on the first day of college that was supposed to be our very formal orientation programme. What to wear, what to carry, what to talk, what to say, what not to say, what to do and a whole other bunch of what's and how's. I was pleasantly surprised by the kind of orientation programme my college had organized. It could, well, have won the award for best orientation, if only they had such a category. The next few days were spent on the campus, meeting people and making new friends. Remember, friends made in the first few days of college stick around till the last ones.
Then came the Halloween themed freshers party thrown by my college which was rather amazing. Never seen so much horror in one place, except the fact that it is a girl's college. (Just kidding, bro!)


First semester was all about stupid Foundation Courses and their meaninglessness that we were subjected to. Amidst this madness, I made 4 new friends who I now consider the lifeline of my college years. The 5th friend wasn't a new one, she's one from school days, so yeah, that makes us a group of 6, myself included. (No names, sorry)
GK and Hauz Khas became our favourite shopping and hang out zones, respectively. Bunking had suddenly become synonymous with college.
There was a lot happening in the last few days of the semester, the Diwali mela, birthday parties, the pre-examination fun, the vellapanti-inspite-of-truckloads-of-syllabus and what not. All's well that ends well. So, Exams went just fine and we called it a semester, with a month's vacation to our disposal.

Second semester came with the fears of having to travel to college in the chilly winter mornings of January. Nevertheless, it was a whole new kind of adrenaline rush that I had never experienced before.
February couldn't have been more fun with the fest season approaching. Before Reverie, i'd always heard about fests and the hype around them from far away cousins and seniors but to be present there was a wonderful feeling. The fest lasted three days but the memories it gave me, shall last forever. The good food, the oh-so-hep-DJ, the guys' rare presence in a girl's college, the friends of friends, the star night performances, and so much more. To a few of us, fests can actually prove to establish long lasting 
connections and friendships. Experience talks, my friend.

 

Soon, we had our mid-sem break which was the best vacation time that we ever spent. Trip to Mumbai with college people during those days has been one hell of an experience. Oh-what-fun! You don't just take 70 girls of a DU college to Mumbai and expect no drama and no craziness. We were a whole package of exactly that.

                             

Later days saw the college elections, the new union being formed and other formalities. The next 2 months saw rigorous preparation for semester exams that were to be followed by 2 months of summer vacation. Result was declared, I scored a good 79% and I was happy to have completed my first year. One down, 2 to go.

Now, apart from the routine, in this first year of my college life, I had made a mark in the pages of a leading national daily: Hindustan Times (HtCity), been on a leading national news channel: NDTV, and been on air on a leading radio station: FEVER 104. So, that has been the high in my fresher's year.


It's been a mixed bag of experiences, some that I wish keep happening to me and some I wish had never happened in the first place.
College teaches you lessons you are not very likely to learn otherwise. It gives you the strength to deal with whatever comes your way and the courage to do what you will. It teaches you to not give a damn about stuff that you don't want to give a damn. It makes you want to fall in love with yourself all over again. It makes you hooked to the independence and freedom that you wish you had it a little under control. It makes you maturer and wiser. And as they say, akkal badaam khane se nahi, thokar khane se aati hai.

That's about it. I hope second year of college life that starts tomorrow is, if not more, as exciting as this past year. Given the additional burden of TYUP, God to bless us with the ability to ace it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Single than Sorry

Walking down the aisles at Archie's gallery, gazing at various love objects such as Teddy Bears, Cupid idols, Love birds, Together forever frames, and other love-related shit; I finally ended up picking a Happy Anniversary greeting card for my parents. If this is not the torment of Valentine's day, then I don't know what is. No, the torment isn't buying an Anniversary card, it's the struggle to find general greetings amidst this store full of red hearts and love quotes that describes a world where love is measured by objects and not emotions.  If you choose 14th February to confess your feelings, that's not falling love, it's fooling in love. With due respect to Saint Valentine and Cupid, this day has become overhyped, overrated and over celebrated. How can you decide to pamper your loved one only on one day of the year and bestow all the love (pocket money) upon them?  Expensive gifts and flowers only provide the sellers with one week of good business and t

Things We Do When We Hate Someone

We have all been mad at someone or the other for some reason or the other but does that put an end to our love for them? Do we stop feeling the same for them? The answer is relative to the reason for which you’re mad at them. IF it is something that can be fixed, then the answer is NO, but surely when the damage done is irreparable, let’s take YES as the answer. People change, feelings change. Nobody can guarantee same behaviour throughout the course of a relationship. This is one solid ground for relationships falling apart. They say, "The opposite of love isn't hate. It is indifference." I am a true believer of these words but then again, sometimes, the next level indifference is called hate, or so I like to think. It's like they cease to exist for me, hence their role in my life becomes zero.   If I were to define hatred, it would be "absence of love”. It is a long ride to go from being mad at someone to hate them but there’s no looking back when you de

Are you ready to fly?

There is nothing that excites me and amazes me more than airplanes. The sole possibility of travelling back and forth in time, defying all perceptions of time travel. There is also nothing that makes me cringe more than being on an airplane. It makes me sick to the stomach, sends shivers down my spine, and renders me helpless, all at the same time. There is a reason why people send texts and make calls before take-off and after landing. No matter how advanced air travel becomes, no matter how many thousands of dollars you spend on that luxury first-class suite just so you can feel at home at 40,000 ft in the air, the fear is inherent. I am no frequent traveller, I am no member of the mile-high club, I am just a young girl who sees airplanes as nothing but a means of transport and occasionally a means of thrill. Having taken a few different flights to and from a few different destinations in the world, what has remained unchanged is my praying before each take-off and after e